15.12.09

La Machina!

I missed the generation where tin robots were the biggest thing to hit the stores. Robots in space! Robots are aliens! I think it had to do with the whole 'man on the moon' age, and I wasn't there to dream about being the next man on the moon.
Robots, which are now androids in modern terms, were once the big scary force that heroic citizens needed to defeat to save the earth!
Nowadays robots are androids that look like people (because that's what all robots want-to just be human) and have evolved from getting short circuited by water to getting short circuited because they can't understand the human concept of 'emotions.' Anyone remember the Iron Giant?
I remember crying so much at the climax (no spoilers!) but I can say that it does have a happy ending. This is my robot movie. Not Transformers, not iRobot. The Iron Giant. Classic.

The only time I ever see classic robots is in little boutiques and Indie stores, their faces looking fake with the layers of protective plastic on the paint. I never buy them ($20 is waaaay to much for my wallet) but I do wonder what it would've been like to have them in my childhood. These paintings can help me imagine.
Artist: Eric Joyner
Bio: He's won a lot of awards and looks like a nice fellow.
Site






Santa Klaus is helping the robot make it to the top.
Genius.

No comments:

Post a Comment