17.12.09

High Collars, Long Skirts

The Victorian Age has always held a special place in my heart next to the Reign of the Sun King. I wish I could've lived during those times-but for the clothes only. Well, at least in France King Louis had the partying going on. Dressing up like a princess every night to attend balls until dawn and sleep in Versaille palace.
I took AP European History, can you tell? I wish that there could be more pictures about fashion trends in the big book of hell (seriously. that should be the new name of the ap history book)
So the Sun King was marked by the age of partying. The Victorian Ages? Marked by the development of underground erotica displayed by lifting up the hem of the dress ever so slightly to flash the skin of ankles. Separate spheres so separate that women were not allowed to be alone with a bachelor for longer than a moment. Pregnancy was hidden until the child was born, and parties revolved around tea in gold filligried China.
The wonderful movie that is Sweeny Todd provided so much aesthetically pleasing costumes I almost fainted from the lack of breath my corset was stealing from me!
I also associate gory death with Victorian times. Dear old buddy Buddy Jack the Ripper and his extensive collection of bodies piling high in the streets.
Ah, the macabre glory.

Artist: Lori Earley
Bio: Born in New York






1 comment:

  1. http://parejka.deviantart.com/art/big-00-146865527

    ReplyDelete