20.1.10

Leather and Blood

On Tuesday fashion shows for the expectant fall lines happened in Milan. For the men, the usual staple designers had their shows: D&G, Armani, Versace, Prada, Burberry Prorsum, and Alexander McQueen--all of whom I was actually disappointed.

Yes, I'm not a man. (duh) And I'm not in my 20's (damn) but anyone with eyes can see that so far these staple designers are out of juice. After browsing through the coverage on their shows I can say that there was a certain underwhelmed theme of costume suits, but it was really really underwhelming. There was the occasional extra sized godfather suit, especially with McQueen's work, and most of the other pieces were just average coats. I guess you could say that their designs were RTW [ready to wear, a new word i learned today!] for chain stores to rip off and mass produce without alot of difficulties, but really who wants that nowadays?

After doing this search, I've become more interested in men's clothing. The point of a designer is to not only bring a new look but to make it appealing for it to trickle down into the average college student's wardrobe. The problem with guys is that they aren't going to wear something with a leopard print or 80's zigzaggs. Women are more willing to take the leap because its really all about standing out. Men want to stand out but not to the point where they need to be more than 4 feet away from his group of friends.

I was really impressed with the show by Dsquared². Their collection ranged from dinner jackets to glitter coats, something that D&G, Prada, Mcqueen, and Burberry failed to do.
Another element that Dean and Dan, the designers and twins, also went with was the entertainment factor. The perfect, chiseled faces of all their drop dead gorgeous models were covered with blood.

Delicious.


'Hockey Night in Canada
meets Friday the 13th meets Rocky Horror.'

I've seen the video of the runway show and my mom suddenly started asking me questions about the music. Because of my impressive ignorance my mom had to explain that the opening clips of voices were from Rocky Horror Picture Show. I am so culturally inept.

Along with the clips and blood, many of the models were wearing hockey protection gear.
So I guess it was the entertainment of seeing men getting all bloodied up from playing hard-core hockey while in the atmosphere of Rocky Horror that stole my heart.
That, and the fact that Bill Kaulitz, singer for Tokio Hotel (DUH) was the surprise opening piece for the show. Be still my heart as I see Bill walk down that runway as if he's going to devour it. He fucking rocked it, which is impressive because he was wearing this large feather shoulder wing thing which seemed to be precariously perched.

Anyway, the show was great. The clothes were really fucking awesome and I wish more guys around here dressed like that.
I'll be doing a few more posts of the other designers I've gained new respect for after finals.

Enjoy the stunning beauty.
p.s. i love that they also put twins models in the show
p.s.s. the last picture is of dean & dan with bill <3














6 comments:

  1. 1. you (and robyn) need to see rocky horror still!! I'm going to find out when the next one is. We have to gooo.

    2. Dsquared show = fight club chic. yes.

    3. i really really like the outfit they put on bill. especially the feathers and his hair!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i like how they have blood on them!
    oh and those two designer people are definitely from that new show that replaced project runway on bravo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A: yes, we definitely must watch it soon. dsquared=new designers to watch. bill=OMFGxinfinity :D

    Millie: wait, is it 'launch my line' that they replaced? and the blood was crazy! and a great choice :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. ok bill looks like a faerie! he doesnt look real, you know?
    also that boy is a GIANT
    p.s. i originally posted this comment on the wrong post, thats why it says i removed a comment ahaha

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bill is trying to be the crow. Poseur. =]

    ReplyDelete
  6. haha oh maddie

    and omfg ur so rite annabelle! *forehead palm*

    ReplyDelete